Tiramisu is given an Asian twist with this amazing Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream from the wonderful range at Yee Kwan.
This Tiramisu is traditional for the most part but the ice cream really gives that intense coffee hit along with a new texture. The two parts work incredibly well together to create something halfway between a traditional Tiramisu and an ice cream sundae.
This recipe can be made well ahead of time. In fact, the Tiramisu benefits from a few hours in the fridge to set and for the flavours to develop. The silver leaf decoration is entirely optional but highly Instagrammable.
For two people, you will need…
50ml Espresso Coffee, cooled completely
150g Madeira Cake
3 Free-range Egg Yolks
50ml Marsala or Brandy
100g Caster Sugar, plus 1 tbsp
Yee Kwan Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream, to serve
1. Start by filling a saucepan one third full with water. Bring to a simmer. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl and place the bowl onto the saucepan, ensure that the base of the bowl does not touch the water. Begin whisking.
2. Add the brandy to the egg yolks and whisk until the mixture becomes creamy and thick. A good way to know when the mixture is ready is to drag the whisk through creating a ‘ribbon’ effect. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. Cream the Mascarpone in a separate bowl to loosen the mixture. Whisk in 25ml of the coffee followed by the egg yolk and brandy mixture. Whisk together to combine then reserve in the fridge.
4. Slice the Madeira cake into rough cubes, around an inch thick. Place the cubes in a bowl and pour over the remaining coffee. Add a tablespoon of caster sugar and toss the cubes until they are well covered.
5. Layer up the Tiramisu. Take a wine glass, or shallow bowl. Add a layer of coffee soaked sponge followed by a good helping of the mascarpone cream. Cover the glasses or bowl and leave to chill in the fridge for 2-4 hours or even overnight.
6. Finish the Tiramisu with a scoop of Yee Kwan Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream and, if you’re feeling extravagant, a leaf of edible silver. Bellissimo!
Yee Kwan Ice Cream: www.yeekwan.com
Purchase Yee Kwan Ice Cream direct from Ocado here
This is a sponsored post for Yee Kwan