Instagram is going nuts for them, Pinterest is featuring them, Chinatown tourists are eating them, so what are they? Bubble Waffles of course! But, how do you make them?
First off, you need a machine. Don’t close the page at this point though, trust me, they are highly inexpensive. Just £19.99 at Argos on this handy waffle maker will get you smashing out the famous Hong Kong street snacks in no time. Sweet or savoury, it’s up to you.
So, now you’ve got your waffle maker, now you need your filling. In this case – a top quality ice cream. Enter Yee Kwan. Yee Kwan produces ice cream with a difference, ice cream inspired by the flavours of Asia.
Yee Kwan were actually featured on the BBC’s Dragons Den, successfully securing investment from businesswoman Deborah Meaden. Further to that, Yee Kwan products are now featured in Harvey Nichols, Wagamama restaurants and across a range of stores in the UK and online.
In todays recipe, i’m using black sesame ice cream. The unique nutty notes and pure flavour really give a luxurious taste to the bubble waffle. Couple that with chocolate brownie pieces and a drizzle of salted caramel sauce and it becomes an irresistible concoction.
For two bubble waffles, you will need:
120g Self Raising Flour
100g Caster Sugar
2 Free-Range Eggs
50ml Evaporated Milk
2 tbsp Cornflour
1 tbsp Custard Powder
1 tsp Vegetable Oil
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
2 Large Scoops Yee Kwan Black Sesame Ice Cream
10 Small Chocolate Brownie pieces, Thorntons are good
Salted Caramel Sauce, to drizzle
Edible gold pieces, to decorate (optional, although it is appreciated by those on Instagram)
Here’s how to put it all together….
- Place all the ingredients for the batter together in a large jug or bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
2. Preheat the waffle iron in accordance with manufacturers instructions. Grease with a little vegetable oil if necessary.
- Add a coating of batter to the centre of the waffle iron and then close the lid. Cook the waffles for 4 minutes, or until golden brown and easily gliding off the iron.
- Place a paper cone or napkin inside a glass or tumbler (this both helps support the waffle and catch any drips) Curve the waffle into the cone and allow to stand for a minute to cool slightly.
- Add a scoop of Yee Kwan black sesame ice cream to the centre of the waffle. Top with the brownie pieces and drizzle over the salted caramel sauce. Sprinkle over some gold leaf pieces to finish, if using.
The bubble waffle is best served warm, so as not to melt the ice cream. The sesame ice cream adds that beautiful nutty taste with the sweetness coming from the brownie pieces, salted caramel and the waffle itself. It really is a superb dessert, and in only five minutes!
Yee Kwan Ice Cream: www.yeekwan.com
Purchase Yee Kwan Ice Cream direct from Ocado here
This is a sponsored post for Yee Kwan