Almond biscuits share similarities with traditional Amoretti, these crunchy, moreish biscuits are easy to make and even better to eat. Tightly locked in a sealed container these Italian treats should last up to 3 days.
Italian Almond Biscuits
- 3 Medium Free-range egg whites
- 300g Ground almonds
- Half teaspoon Almond extract
- 200g Caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Prepare a tray lined with greaseproof paper or a macaroon mat if you have one.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl, using an electric whisk or ,if you’re feeling strong, a metal balloon whisk and whisk the egg whites until beginning to foam. Slowly add the sugar while whisking to create a thick meringue.
- Whisk in the almond extract and once combined, use a large wooden spoon or spatula to fold in the ground almonds. The mixture will be quite stiff and thick.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and pipe small rounds about 4cm wide onto the sheet, well spaced apart. Bake in the oven for 12-16 minutes. Once golden and crisp turn the oven off and leave the door slightly ajar. This will help the biscuits dry out and become beautifully crunch.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and leave on a wire rack to cool. These biscuits are perfect with a cup of coffee.
Artisan Traveller https://www.artisantraveller.com/