Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe

pumpkin pie easy

Halloween is fast approaching and the pumpkins are ready for picking. We headed back to Cattows Farm in our local area to check out this years crop. Earlier in the summer we came back with more fruit than we knew what to do with, this time we had to pick a pumpkin from the 40,000 available. God help us!

I had considered just getting a pumpkin to carve decoratively into as scary of face that I could manage, however this just seemed a bit of a waste. Instead, I hatched a plan to bake an American favourite – Pumpkin Pie.

The recipe below is as simple as you would like to make it, you could use canned pumpkin and the recommended pre-bought pastry cases. For me, the pastry was a lifesaver on a busy day when pushed for time but nothing beats the fresh pumpkin.

So without further delay, check out the recipe below and kickstart your Halloween celebrations!

Makes 2 Pies

2 Ready-made Pastry Tart Shells, around 20 cm in diameter

½ A Fresh Medium Pumpkin, around 3kg

1 tsp Ground Ginger

1 tsp Ground Cinnamon

200g Caster Sugar

50ml Brandy (or Whisky)

2 Free-Range Eggs, at room temperature

200ml Evaporated Milk

Pinch of Salt

1. Preheat the oven to 160C.

1. Slice the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and remove the outer skin carefully with the aid of a sharp or serrated knife. Dice up one half of the pumpkin and reserve the other half for another recipe.

1. Place the diced pumpkin into a large pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft enough to pierce with a knife offering no resistance.

1. Drain the pumpkin and place straight into a blender. Blitz to a puree and measure out 400ml of the puree. Reserve the remaining puree for another recipe, this freezes well once cool.

1. Add the 400ml of puree to the blender along with the ginger, cinnamon, brandy, sugar, eggs and evaporated milk. Blitz the mixture until smooth.

1. Pour the mixture carefully into the tart shells until the filling reaches the top. Carefully place into the oven for 30 minutes or until the pies are set with a slight wobble in the centre. Leave to cool for an hour.

1. Slice up the pies and enjoy while still just warm. These are great served with whipped cream or just as they are – Happy Halloween!

10 Comments

1. October 17, 2018 / 6:36 pm

As ever you make something delicious and me a little envious. I’m not the greatest in the kitchen. But it doesn’t stop me trying. Thanks for sharing

• Chris
      Author
      October 17, 2018 / 6:40 pm

Thanks! I really hope you give this one a go – it’s really easy and so tasty, the freshly picked pumpkin just adds to the flavour!

2. October 17, 2018 / 6:50 pm

I love pumpkin pie! Probably my favorite part about fall/ Thanksgiving ☺️ I’m going to have to try this recipe this year.

• Chris
      Author
      October 17, 2018 / 9:05 pm

Oh wow! I’m honoured! Please let me know how it goes!

3. October 17, 2018 / 8:44 pm

I’ve never tried pumpkin pie but sounds so easy to make, thinking about giving it a go! Thanks for the recipe!

• Chris
      Author
      October 17, 2018 / 8:48 pm

Do have a go, its so easy! Let me know how it goes!

4. October 17, 2018 / 10:58 pm

I’m slightly ashamed to admit, as an American, that I’ve never eaten pumpkin pie… Oh I’ve had plenty of opportunities at every Thanksgiving and many Christmases as well, but I always go straight for the apple pie. That said, I love pumpkin baked goods! Just this week I made pumpkin French toast and pumpkin cookies, yum. This recipe looks so easy maybe I should try my hand at making a pumpkin pie this year and make myself actually try it! Thanks for sharing!

• Chris
      Author
      October 17, 2018 / 11:02 pm

Thank you so much for your comment Kelly! Honestly, this was so simple to put together and even more so if you use canned pumpkin (which I believe is readily available in the states). Pumpkin cookies and French toast? Wow now that sounds like something I’d love to try! Let me know how this recipe goes for you.

5. October 18, 2018 / 2:12 am

Sounds like a yummy pie!

• Chris